Aged stretch cheese, similar to aged Provolone, just with a hard but edible rind.
Very similar to mozzarella, they are interchangeable since caciocavallo is like an aged mozzarella. This cheese melts easily when heated, therefore it is great to use it on top of pastas, pizzas, and even as a cheese dip for your crackers.
The name literally means “cheese on horseback”. Cheese back then were hung by a rope and left to age on the end of a stick just like if it was riding on a horseback.
Ingredients: Pasteurized cow’s milk, salt, rennet
- Milk source: Pasteurized cow’s milk
- Type: Semi-hard
- Texture: Firm
- Rind: Natural
- Flavor: Subtle, milky, sweet
- Melt and pour over dishes.
- Use as cheese for cheeseburger.
- Fondue along with other cheeses.