Spinach and Ricotta Filo Triangles
Having a party?
Try making spinach and ricotta filo triangles! This is a sure shot way to impress your guests! Or maybe you are just hungry and want to impress yourself with a gourmet meal you cooked on your own.
8 easy steps to make a flavorful Spinach and Ricotta Filo Triangle
- 1 Bunch of Blanched Spinach Leaves (squeeze excess water)
- 250g One More Slice Ricotta
- 10g Finely Chopped Garlic
- 1g Dried Basil (optional)
- 1g Dried Oregano (optional)
- Filo Pastry
- Melted butter
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Slice the blanched spinach lengthwise.
- Mix the spinach, ricotta, garlic, salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano together. Mix well until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- Slice the filo pastry into 1.5 inch wide strips and add a teaspoonful of spinach ricotta mixture towards one end of the filo pastry.
- You may brush the filo with butter and then fold it into a triangle by folding it from one side to the other.
- Repeat steps until you’ve finished all your mixture. This mixture makes approximately 25 triangles.
- Lay the triangles on a parchment paper lined pan or better yet, use a Silpat so it is reusable.
- Brush top of the spinach ricotta triangles with butter (for better color) and bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes.
How to blanch the spinach:
- Take out the leaves of the spinach. Rinse them well on cold running water.
- Boil some water and add some salt to the pot.
- Prepare some cold water with ice in a separate bowl.
- Put the spinach inside and push it down so all of the leaves will get cooked.
- After 1 minute, take them out and put them in an ice bath. This is to shock the blanched spinach and to stop it from cooking even more. (Remember, we will still cook it once we put it in the oven)
Now, let’s move on to the dip.
- 150g Cucumber (half a cucumber)
- 150g Yogurt
- 10mL Lemon Juice
- 5g Finely Chopped Garlic
- 45mL Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Honey (optional)
- You can prepare this a day in advance so that the flavor will infuse in the dip. You can also make this while the spinach ricotta filo triangles are in the oven.
- Finely chop the cucumber
- Put the yogurt in a bowl, add the chopped cucumber and minced garlic. Mix them together.
- Slowly add the extra virgin olive oil in by pouring a gentle stream of oil into the yogurt while whisking the mixture. This is important because this will make sure that it will emulsify (come together) and look nice and shiny.
- Add the lemon juice 5mL (1 tsp) and mix it. Taste to see if the tanginess is to your liking. You may add more if you like it tangier.
- Season it with salt and pepper as you please. Taste it every now and then to make sure you don’t over season it.
- (This is an optional step) If you like it a little sweeter, you may add a little bit of honey, probably around 10mL.
You now have gloriously easy gourmet-meal, ready to be served.